Filmy

Howdy! How goes it out there on this Taco Tuesday, May 26, 2020. That is right, we can freely go out and patronize our local Mom and Pop restaurants and buy their delicious taco’s today and everyday. Excuse me, I have been partaking in other things this morning. Mostly I have been lounging with my aching feet up. I did get to watch the sweetest little known film, Laggies. It starred Keira Knightly, Chloe Grace Moritz and Sam Rockwell as well as a huge great supporting cast, in a dreamy story that would truly never happen in real life, but you wistfully at times in your life wished that things like this did. Anyhow, if you are still in the midst of the lock down and running out of things to watch, take this one for a spin.

Here is a little theme music, you will understand by the time you get to the end of this post, press play…

This was shot probably while we were traveling at 70 MPH heading west bound on highway 86 with the Sears KSX 1000.

Yesterday, although I was not feeling all that great, I got the sweetest surprise via email. I had forgotten that I had sent off film to be developed by the Dark Room in Coast Mesa, Ca. In true form, which is flying by the seat of my ass, I had no idea what was going to be on the role of film other than it would be color and it was expired film. It turned out just as I expected, if not better!

This is shot number two on the film strip. I forgot about this hawk.

Film is what can I say that hasn’t been said before. Film is kitschy. You either love it, or hate it. You either get it or you don’t. You have the people that think that pictures don’t matter and that what they have on their phones is good enough. Then you have people that print everything and have albums and albums of photos. Then you have me, I am a hoarder of photos. I take them out and look at them for memories and stories. Really, I am trying to work them into some sort of art project, per se, and someday, maybe I will, but if not, my kids will have lots of stuff to look at if they choose. Anyhow, I like film for the surprises it gives. I had forgotten about the bird or that we had taken that trip to Salton Sea. Also, I forgot that I tried a few portraits with Hubby.

I loooove the colors…dreamy.

It had been years since I had picked up a film camera but gosh it felt so good. I missed trying to get the meter to get into the correct positions and such. It all came back to me like riding a bike. Although, I hate to admit that I did have trouble unloading one roll of B & W film and know that I overexposed a roll. Ugh. My next thing will be to try at home developing. I am sure it will probably take me a long time, months, before I get to that stage but I will do it. With me, everything takes time. I am just like a turtle sometimes, slow and steady.

Everytime we pass this spot Coachella I start singing “I’m going to Jackson…”

We always seem to end up in this area on Sundays when we are out driving and looking for places to sneak a kiss or smoke and I always start to sing this song, “…They are going to Jackson you big talkin’ man…” That whole area just seems like a road trip even though its not. Life is a really about what you make it. It is as hard as you want it to be. Right? I am going to keep looking for positives because they are there.

Thank you dear reader for stopping by and hope you stay safe where ever in the world you are. May you wear your mask proudly or may you respectfully not wear a mask but social distance yourself from others. We can all still be kind and get our points across, right? Let us kill each other with kindness. Hugs to you that need it.

17 Comments Add yours

1. Timothy Price says:

Nice filmy surprise. Have you seen The Hillbilly Moon Explosion’s version of “Jackson” featuring Sparky from Demented Are Go:? https://youtu.be/_HM_gPFsDpc it’s a stitch.

1. Hey TIm,

Cool version! Listening to it right now! Are those two baratone saxes? Pretty cool, eh?

Yeah it was a filmy surprise. Can’t wait to see what else I have on the other canisters as I snap a few random shots here and there out of both of my film cameras.

Liked by 1 person

1. Timothy Price says:

I think so. They are big saxes. Those two normally play guitar and bass. Look up Johnny are you gay. It’s pretty good. They also do a good verion of “Call Me”.

2. I will check those out. They are ska meets polka country. Very cool.

Liked by 1 person

2. Alien Resort says:

I didn’t know Sears had a camera but I’m not surprised–they had everything else.

1. It was my first camera, well actually a replacement of my Mom’s first camera from the 80’s. It is a Pentax I think generic. I got this one on ebay for under 40 bucks with 2 lenses and all original instructions and packaging. The first owner to good care of it. šŸ™‚

Liked by 1 person

3. morishige says:

Beautiful photos. But my favorite is the one with your hubby playing guitar. šŸ™‚

I can imagine how happy you were when you saw the result. I used film camera between 2010-2013. My friend lent me his dad’s Yashica FX-3 with the light meter still on. Then I got another Yashica FX-3 with broken light meter before finding a Nikon FM.

I stopped using it after the shutter of the Nikon FM was broken when I took it to the third tallest mountain in the archipelago. Guess the camera couldn’t stand the abrupt change in temperature. šŸ™‚

Thanks for the Johnny Cash song! šŸ™‚

Have a nice day šŸ™‚

Liked by 1 person

1. Hey! You are still awake? Ha ha!!

I was extremely happy! It was a surprise. I had not used a film camera, except those throw away ones in over 15 years, maybe longer. Yashica’s are nice. Much like Konica, I had one, just can’t remember the model. I love Nikon. THird tallest mountain? Kangchenjunga?!? Holy shit!!! Really? That is so how can I say this, fucking amazing! Did you make it to the top? If you did, how did feel? How was the air pressure? What was the view like? Sorry, I get excited..

You are welcome. I love that song, singing it right now… šŸ™‚

Liked by 1 person

1. morishige says:

Howdy! It’s afternoon here. I fell asleep so late last night šŸ˜€

Wait.. wait… No. šŸ™‚ Not the third tallest in the world, but in Indonesia. The name of the mountain (a volcano to be precise) is Rinjani. Anyway, I guess the camera will never make it even to the basec camp of Kanchejunga. LOL.

So when was the last time you use the film camera?

2. Oh wow! I just googled Rinjani and that lake or water at the top of the mountain does not look real. You saw that? Maybe an Iphone11…ha ha!!!!

THe last time I used an actual film camera was probably around 1995ish, that is when my Mom’s camera broke and I took it to the repair shop and never picked it up…true story. I am so ashamed. šŸ˜¦

I have a weird sleep schedule as well. I am up early in the AM usually around 2 AM and go to sleep around 3 PM…I hate our schedule, really. Now I am used to it. This is hubby’s sleep pattern, not mine.

Liked by 1 person

3. morishige says:

Yes, that’s Rinjani. We camped by the lake perhaps for two nights. There are many fish on the lake, the carps mostly. We could fish there, but since there are people, locals, selling the fish, we just bought the fish and cooked it ourselves. šŸ˜€ There’s an old blogpost of mine about it. The title is Selubung Anjani.

Haha. šŸ˜€ I guess I need to readjust my sleeping pattern. šŸ™‚

Liked by 1 person

4. That is so cool! How did it feel? I mean the air pressure? I have never been more that 4 thousand feet and that was by car and going through the Nevada desert. People live by the lake? I will look it up and read it! I really wish my kids, mainly my sons would take adventures like you have. I had always encouraged them to travel and to see the world before settling down and starting a family. My daughter was a nomad and traveled to Spain and all over the US and is 34 and just got married a few years ago and had her second kid. I am going to encourage my boys to read your blog…

They say good sleeping habits lead to better health. I have been working on good sleeping habits for 50 years…work in progress. HA HA šŸ™‚

Liked by 1 person

5. morishige says:

The hardest part was when I had to walk up from the rim of the crater to the top. The air felt thinner after 3,500 m (11,842 feet) I had to walk really slowly. My friend and I woke up really late so we were the last people to get to the top.

About the lake, it was cold but the air pressure was bearable. It wasn’t hard for me to breathe. Perhaps because we have been to higher elevation.

Wow, your daughter was adventurous. šŸ™‚ I bet it was pretty hard for her to settle down. Haha… Thank you. I hope it’s not hard for them to read the translated version. šŸ™‚

Fair enough. They say it’s not about the destination, but the journey. šŸ˜€

6. I just looked at some of the photos. Only the first part of the blog translates but now I am interested in that post as well as the “what doesn’t kill you” post. Very cool and wow, that lake! That would be like Machipichu for me. A place I have always wanted to go.

Thanks for sharing šŸ™‚

Liked by 1 person

7. morishige says:

Yes, that’s the one. I’m so glad that you liked it. šŸ˜€

You’re most welcome, Michelle. I’d never thought back then that one day I’d share the post to you. šŸ™‚

Liked by 1 person

4. So glad you did! That is so cool. As I mentioned before, I would like to show my kids so that maybe they will get inspired and maybe they will travel. Even with all that is going on in the world, I still want to experience different cultures and different places. Thanks again for sharing šŸ™‚