Signs

Howdy out there! How goes it on this rainy April 8, 2020, at least here in the Coachella Valley. Rain is cleansing. May it wash over this land and wash away our troubles. I know we are supposed to be practicing social distancing and perhaps if you are careful and it is raining in your area, you could go on an epic puddle hopping adventure all by yourself. Yeah, I know it’s not fun unless you are able to splash someone else, but I am sure you can make up some kind of game. I think it was either my Dad or my sister that used to string up bottle caps so that we could send them down the drains in a race. My Mom used to remind us to wear shoes because “We could catch our death of cold!” or something scary like that. Times sure are changing. However, keep it up folks, keep following those guidelines as they do appear to be working, albeit slowly. Although we are far apart, we are all together in spirit.

Yesterday I started this little game, well sort of game, with myself. I thought it would be fun and hopefully bring some cheer to post some random photos I have captured in the past three years. I put all those SD card in a cup and select one and then pick random shots and post them to my IG stories and feed for that day. I am not one to follow trends like #tbt or #wbw, believe me, I have tried but I am not cool like that. So, I am just posting and hoping to not get on anyone’s nerves, although it’s social media, I am sure to fray a few. So, my apologies in advance. This morning around 3 AM, I pulled a card labeled 7.1.18 RSB. I knew who was on the card. It was the Rob Staley Band. Okay, I am totally guilty of using the word “favorite” in front of everything. It is one of my many flaws. It can’t be fixed. So, since I can’t fix that, this is my favorite country band with a drummer from Guam and a guitarist named James. I know random, but the first time I heard singer Rob Staley mention that fact, my ears perked up. Why? My cousins grew up in Guam back in the 70’s and early 80’s as my Aunt and Uncle were stationed in the Navy. I have always wanted to travel there.

That night, we came down stairs early because the sound upstairs was not good for my ears. I wish that was my only problem that night. Also, I was having issues with my eye. I can almost see normal with one eye open so I can take a photo if I close one I and use AUTO. However, when shooting video, you can’t use the viewfinder and everything beyond my arms reach is blurry so I point in the direction of the music and shapes and pray. It may look like I am staring intently at you but I can’t see you. Truff! (Myocitis) This is why I go gaga over good drumming and good bass playing as they are the key to my picture taking. I use their beats to hit the trigger, especially if I know the song then the beat will be the context clue of how the singer or the guitarist will act or if they are about to “pose.” Good drumming will allow me the freedom to shoot with my eyes closed, really. (As long as I am aimed in the right direction. For fun, I will not level up the photos so they will not be even.)

I didn’t see that he had broken a string until I got home.

I remember reviewing the video the next morning and singing the lines to Albert Kings Born Under a Bad Sign as I got to the part were Mr. Staley’s string broke. I thought “ugh”. I had only shot two videos and the other was of James, the guitarist and the quality was not good. It made me sad.

You know if it wasn’t for bad luck I wouldn’t have no kind o’ luck
If it wasn’t for real bad luck, I wouldn’t have no luck at all

At that moment, I would kind of have to agree with my Dad on that one, he used to say those lines to me any time I would get into any sort of trouble. I’ll take it though and all the places my bad luck has taken me. Most of the photos from that night were crap. Not the fault of the band. I had my camera on auto-focus and used the kit lens…The lights were set to disco and spinning wildly around the room. Memories. The band though, true professionals. The photog in me dreams of a photo shoot with those guys but still too shy to ask. Surely, they could be headlining a bigger stage and me, like a proud ol’ neighborhood lady and fan, I hope they do well, as all the other performers that are chasing their dreams. May they all weather this storm and continue in their pursuits. Even though most of us are all in the same boat of uncertainty, if I can help in any way, let me know. Even if its for advice, or a copy of a photo, a funny story or money or to tell me to F off what ever…well maybe not money but hey I will help you look for it or organize a benefit or bake sale (Grama Kush baked goods, ya know what I’m sayin’…ju know?)! Here are a few more photos from that night. Do check these guys out or any band or performer that you know out on Spotify or Youtube…every little bit can help.

Thank you for stopping by where ever you are reading. May you get a little sunshine shine. Hugs.

Next Installment to Throwing Fire Into the Water Friday

17 Comments Add yours

1. morishige says:

Howdy! 😀 The photos are great. It’s hard to imagine that you capture the moments with one eye having issues.

It seems to me that you do more than taking pictures and videos of Coachella bands; you’re documenting their process 😀 And it’s amazing.

Have a great day and stay safe! 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. I know, right? A doctor once called me an anomaly. I was treated for Multiple sclerosis for over 15 years even though they did not have a confirmed diagnosis. I thought I was dying (sooner than later) up until I had surgery on my spine. It was causing so many problems. Now even though i am in pain, I am so much better 🙂 But still have trouble seeing 🙂 I sometimes feel I need to let people know that I can’t see well but still keep taking photos cause one day I may not be able to do it.
      Yeah, I really want to make documentaries or short films. It really fascinates me. I am just so old. Not sure I have much time left to learn much more. Really. 🙂 Have too much pictures and video to go through already.
      Hope you are doing well, You could be a historian, you take great photos and you seem to write a lot as well. Sorry I am slow at reading all your work. I will though 🙂 Have a great day! Be well.

1. morishige says:

Wow you’ve been with it for a really long time. I hope you get totally well soon.

There’s a writer/adventurer named Paul Salopek. Supported by the National Geographic Society, he embarked on a journey taking him years to trace the migration of humankind from Ethiopia to Tierra del Fuego, Argentina. He was 50 years when he made his first step. Well, he’s not old at all. 😀

Nevermind. It’s on the internet you can read it anytime you like 😀

You have a gread day too. Stay safe, my friend. 🙂

2. For someone so young, you, as also, know so much about so much! Thank you for looking out. I will also check out Salopek. I joke about 50 being my moment to figure out what I want to be and do in this next part of my life. Maybe this is the inspiration I need. Yeah it’s been a story, that is for sure. It’s hard when no one believes you are ill and then when they do believe something is wrong with you, they treat you for the wrong disease. Friends have joked that I should write a book just about my life. Ha ha. Really, it’s not that interesting, if anything it’s been a comedy of errors.

Yeah, I love the internet, it has so much good stuff to find on it for freeee!!

Have a great day!!

3. morishige says:

Nah… not really. Just one or two unimportant facts. 🙂

I knooow… Only the person who really knows what’s going on inside one’s self. And that’s what makes every individual unique–and so their stories. Like, you, know, the Catcher in the Rye, it’s just about a kid expelled from a prep school 😀

You have a great day too!

Liked by 1 person

4. Oh my gosh. IS JD Saliger required reading in Indonesia? Catcher in the Rye was a required reading book in our freshman year. No, that book was so much more. He had so many questions. I felt like Holden as a teenager and if you read that book at the right moment in your life it meant different things to you. I guess I kind of have some of Holden’s pessimistic views of the world. ha ha.

5. morishige says:

Sadly, it is not. We don’t really have required readings in Indonesia. All we read is excerpts from Indonesian classics. They are cool but, yeah, you know, we only know tiny parts of them.

I found the Catcher in the Rye during my last teenage year or early twenties. I was hooked on by the cover. You know, the orange one–the raging orange one. 😀 It is interesting from the beginning. I can feel the rage within Holden, how he wants to reach out to people but nobody’s paying him attention. (Yet, it’s funny how he tries to cooperate with the way society lives.) One of the most interesting part, for me, is when Holden tried to strike up a conversation with the cab driver in New York. He asked him where the geese in Central Park go during winter and the driver didn’t really give a damn (forgive my using a curse word. Haha.)

Yeah, you know, right? The week after I read it the first time, the world seemed really gloomy.

It’s really nice to finally discuss the book with somebody! Thanks for having this conversation with me. Have a great day and stay safe. 😀

Liked by 1 person

6. Wow, it is amazing that you found it on your own. It really is a such a poignant book that I wish my own sons would read. Yeah, it was depressing and the writer did such a great job making you feel Holden’s emotions and yes especially that feeling of how no one cares or listens. I hadn’t thought about that book in over 30 years. Thanks I think I will download it for my Kindle. 🙂

You stay safe friend.

7. morishige says:

I guess one must be encouraged by somebody–or an institution–to read the Catcher in the Rye. Or at least given some introductions first. Only few of my friends read it most of whom are students in Literature. 😀 Happy re-reading then.

Stay safe too, my friend 🙂

8. I don’t think I would have happened upon Catcher by myself had I not been required to read it. This book so perfectly gets shows that boys are emotional creatures. So poignant.

9. morishige says:

Yeah true. And I always recommend the book to my friends who love reading. 😀 I hope they read it. Haha. Tho it seems a bit late. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

10. Hmmm. I wonder how that book would have affected me as an older person, perhaps a parent, versus an angst-y, depressed teenager. That was full of emotions. Yeah. I may have to go through and read it again with fresh eyes, but I know it will not be the same.

11. morishige says:

I don’t know about other adults, but, for me, the feeling of being a teenager always lingers there. I do feel like a teenager now, with an adult body, with different role in life. Every time I meet my good old buddies, it’s like we’re just having a really long break from school. I guess I should read the book once more. 🙂

12. Yeah, I feel the same way to. I was just saying that to my husband yesterday. I was going to write messages to my sons about becoming “mature but not growing up” or something like that to add to the stuff I getting together for for my kids like pictures and stories. We are cleaning out storage boxes in the garage. You never know, when we are not around, they will find these things around and get little messages from us. I think I will order The Catcher and the Rye and put in their box..Thanks for bringing it up!! 🙂

13. morishige says:

Happy organizing then. You’re most welcome. And thanks a lot for writing “Signs.” Have a wonderful day! 🙂

Liked by 1 person

14. Oh yeah, fun time organizing. Really time to clean out and donate when we are free to move about again 🙂

Liked by 1 person

2. For someone so young you too know so much about so much! Thank you for looking out. I will also check out Salopek. I joke about 50 being my moment to figure out what I want to be and do in this next part of my life. Maybe this is the inspiration I need. Yeah it’s been a story, that is for sure. It’s hard when no one believes you are ill and then when they do believe something is wrong with you, they treat you for the wrong disease. Friends have joked that I should write a book just about my life. Ha ha. Really, it’s not that interesting.

Yeah, I love the internet, it has so much good stuff to find on it for freeee!!

Have a great day!!